8/19/15

Book Review: Capture the Moment by Sarah Wilkerson


Capture the Moment by Sarah Wilkerson
ISBN: 978-0-77043-527-1
Retails for $21.99

About:
"Modern guide to photography."


IMPRESSION:

Capture the Moment is such an eye-catching book, especially when you receive the hardcover version like I did. It most definitely deserves it's own display on a tabletop or a shelf.  When I get my own studio, you better believe it, this book will be displayed!!



This guide book first of all contains such amazing photographs and portraits throughout all of it's 244 pages.  This book covers many techniques and shows you a photograph and then offers suggestions-er teaches you how each image was achieved and how you can utilize lighting to illuminate your subject, how you can use backlighting through natural light, or how you can use a light source to focus on the catch lights in the eyes of your subjects. This book also shows you different ways to capture body language, emotion, perspective, and how to conceptualize photographs to tell stories with your images, making them very powerful to your viewers.  


My favorite chapter was Chapter 5: Black and White.   Black and White photography is so artistic to me and I found this particular chapter to be full of emotion within the photographs. B/W is timeless and you can capture so much mood alone by adjusting your light accordingly and your contrast as well.  I feel like you can appreciate a photograph more when you aren't distracted by colors. 


One particular thing stood out to me through this book that I valued the most and that was that at the very bottom of almost every page, you could find the photographer's name, camera, and camera settings that were used to capture each of the photographs listed throughout. This was very helpful and important to me. As a photographer, we see another's work and often find ourselves asking, "What lens did you use? What camera do you use?" and this answered those questions for me. Incredibly useful. 



Lastly, at the back of this book, you will see a section called the Contributor Directory. This directory includes a photograph, the photographer's name, website, and page number their work was published on.  All of these contributors were from Clickin Moms, which is the largest female organization of photographers in the world. 100% of the royalties from this book's sales go to the Ronald McDonald House Charities!  I love that! 

All in all, this is a great how-to book for the amateur and professional alike. I love this. It's heavy, beautiful,  full of information and gorgeous photography.  I personally hope to be published like this one day! :)  If you buy this book, you will love it! 









Capture the Moment by Sarah Wilkerson
ISBN: 978-0-77043-527-1
Retails for $16.99
To purchase: CaptureTheMoment

Author is the CEO of:




*FTC DISCLAIMER: I received this book from Blogging for Books complimentary in exchange for my honest book review!*