8/20/15

Book Review: Longing For Paris by Sarah Mae

Longing For Paris by Sarah Mae



This book is about one woman's very emotional journey to find inner peace with herself, her past and her life with lessons she's learned from her experiences as a child, a mother, a wife and a Christian.  She dreams of a life in Paris.. but what she finds that she's truly longing for is much deeper. 

Sometimes, I find myself so busy, that I wish that I could just hit pause, and go on a vacation. A lavish vacation away from my sometimes seemingly dull, and sometimes overly chaotic life. However, finding beauty in things I have right here at home and appreciating the small and the big things alike, is what makes it all worth it.  I found myself laughing and agreeing with certain things in this book. I felt like the way the author told her story, she was in a way telling my own.  I have dreams. Big dreams too. I know most of them will never come true, but embracing what could.. is where I struggle. The author reminds us that sometimes we need to quit fighting our struggles and just give in.  We have this responsibility to ourselves to nurture our souls and the souls of our  spouses and children.  We have to listen. We have to see. We have to experience and live, forgive, truly slow down and live life to it's fullest. 


I loved, loved, loved when the author wrote about her marriage. She wrote,
 "Yeah, it's ugly sometimes in my house, and I'm selfish, and stretching into love with a sinner you have to sleep next to is such a crazy, ridiculous thing. But that crazy thing is God's idea, and so it matters." pg. 102    This hit home for me. It made me laugh and then reflect on my own life even more. Sometimes married life is very hard and the struggle is real, but the big reminder here is that GOD wanted this life for us. He wanted us to sacrifices, and love just as He did. 
When I got to pg 158, the tears came.  What she wrote was so real that I wept for her.  This author shared a very personal sin she had been carrying around with her as this heavy burden and she described how she eventually found the light again with the help of God. 

What I really took from this book is a lot of  little reminders. 

"He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand..."
"Life is not a ladder to climb but a garden to enjoy." 
"The same stars you are seeing are the same stars someone in Paris is seeing as well."

And, Bible verses. 
"If you seek him, he will be found by you."-1 Chronicles 28:9, ESV
"Don't be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God."-1 Peter 3:3-4, ESV

What we all need to seek the most in life is a healthy relationship with ourselves and explore those hidden pieces of our souls so we can learn what it is our hearts truly desire and how to get the most out of our lives. GOD loves us and wants us to enjoy this life he created for us. Through Him, we can figure it out, without having to run away, or go on a vacation.   That sums up this book.  This author's writing style was relaxed and I couldn't put this book down. I believe this is a great read for anybody going through the motions and needing spiritual enlightenment & encouragement! 





For more information:

Longing For Paris by Sarah Mae
ISBN: 978-1-4143-7261-7
Christian Life/Women
Retails for: $15.99



*FTC DISCLAIMER: This book was sent to me complimentary from Tyndale Blog Network in exchange for my honest book review!*