2/6/16

Book Review: 21 Seconds To Change Your World By Dr. Mark Rutland



:21 Seconds To Change Your World
Finding God's Healing and Abundance Through Prayer
By Dr. Mark Rutland

ISBN:978-0-7642-1770-8
Christian Living/Prayer
Retails for $14.99

ABOUT:
When Dr. Mark Rutland couldn't find the words to pray, he turned to the Lord's Prayer. Through it he reconnected with God and found comfort, hope and healing. In this book he reveals how your soul can be renewed in the 21 seconds it takes to pray these words of Jesus. 



IMPRESSION:
Prior to reading this book, I was already very familiar with The Lord's Prayer, but not at all Psalm 23. I had heard it read by my Pastor at my Grandparent's funerals but never really understood it.   The Lord's Prayer was one of the very first prayers I learned as a child and it has stuck with me my whole life. I recite it often, but not as often as I should, and I've realized I have been guilty of mindlessly praying it without really breaking it down to understand what it is I was praying.  That's where this book comes in handy! 

In this book, Dr. Mark Rutland explains how remarkable the historical connections between Jesus and King David were.  Ironically David wrote Psalm 23 1,000 years before Jesus was born, which is very similar to The Lord's Prayer that Jesus spoke.  When paired side by side, you can see how they flow together. 


---------
The Lord's Prayer
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed by thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forget our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil:
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever.
Amen. 
----------



----------
Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He marketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. 
----------


-----------
Similarities

Our Father who art in heaven
The Lord is 

The Lord is my shepherd
Our father

He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness
Lead us not into temptation

My cup runneth over
Give us this day our daily bread

For his name's sakes
Hallowed be thy name

Deliver us from evil
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil

Forever
Forever
----------

The incredible discovery aside,  main purpose of this book is to encourage you to pray The Lord's Prayer multiple times a day, as often as possible. By saturating your life in prayer, you can change your life. You can beat depression. You can beat temptations. You can restore your life and heal with this prayer.  It only takes 21 seconds out of your day to recite it one time. These are considered to be medicines of the soul. 

I found this book to be very exciting to read. I love learning new things and could sense the author's excitement too. Perfect book for those who are spiritually lost. 


*FTC Disclaimer: This book was sent to come complimentary by Bethany House in exchange for my honest review.*